Saturday, July 3, 2010

Satan Always on Holiday in Hell

Fabled People and Places, pg 54
Players: Megan & Mallery









Let me just start off by saying I had very high expectations for my visit to Hell. With two pages full of stories and colorful pictures in the “Weird Michigan” book, I couldn’t help but conjure up the idea that this was probably going to be the coolest place I traveled during the challenge. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Megan was gracious enough to accompany me to Hell, and when we arrived, it was deserted. This was the first indication that my idea of Hell was a little…off. The entire town is comprised of three buildings: a general store, ice-cream store/costume shop and bar. Behind the ice-cream store/costume shop is a putt-putt golf course and several plywood boards painted with scary characters which include holes where you can insert your face for a photo op. We didn’t even venture into the buildings because I was afraid to be even more disappointed.

Legend has it that the founder of the town was being pressured to choose a name for the location. He became annoyed and told the people that he didn’t care and they could call it Hell if they wanted too. Regardless of why it originally gained the name, I am quite sure I know why it has retained it for so many years: it is comparable to Hell on earth considering there is nothing to do and doesn’t live up to its expectations!

The only part of my theory that proved to be true was that it was HOT with temperatures at almost 90 degrees, high humidity and no breeze. At least I wasn’t all wrong!

1 comment: